Tong’an Confucian Temple
Tong'an Confucian Temple is located on the west bank of Dongxi River in Tong'an District of Xiamen.
It was first built in the Five Dynasties period (907-960 A.D.). The Dacheng Hall (main building of the Temple) was rebuilt in the 32nd year of the Emperor Qianlong's reign in the Qing Dynasty (1767) and was renovated in 1987.
As the only Confucian Temple in Xiamen, the Temple is an indication of ancient Tong'an's role as a center of science and education that was thriving with culture. In June 2005, it was listed among Fujian’s sixth batch of cultural heritage sites under protection.
The then Tong’an Confucian Temple served not only as a place to give offerings to Confucius, but also as a classroom for local students. Now it is a county-level museum displaying artifacts and cultural relics relating to Tong’an and its local county nobles and officials since Western Han Dynasty (202 B.C. to 9 A.D.).